This slow cooker jambalaya recipe couldn’t get much easier! This batch definitely feeds a crowd!
To make this delicious slow cooker jambalaya, start by cooking up 2 pounds of your favorite sausage – we like using Cajun sausage links. After your sausage is cooked, add all of the remaining ingredients (except shrimp!) and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. That’s it!
Sometimes I skip the ham because I just don’t have it in the house and I am too lazy to go to the store… BUT, I recommend that you don’t do that.
I found this small smoked ham from Niman Ranch at my local Harris Teeter – I love to get local but, if I can’t get local, I like finding meat suppliers who raise their animals sustainably and humanely. Yay for Niman Ranch! I didn’t need to use all of the ham so I will be adding some chopped ham to a quiche this weekend. If you can get a 1/2 inch ham steak, that’s also a great option for this Slow Cooker Jambalaya recipe.
I love to rely on my slow cooker on busy school nights. Five kids, lots of afterschool activities … Although it’s nice to sit down and enjoy a meal altogether, sometimes it is just not possible. Using my slow cooker and my rice cooker, I am all set to serve my kids as needed! And, if my husband is lucky, there’s a good chance that there will be enough left over for him when he gets home from work.
I think my kids like this jambalaya because there’s a bit of everything in it – something for everyone. Sausage, ham, shrimp … I only use a 1/2 pound of shrimp because not everyone is a fan but those who are always ask for seconds “with extra shrimp!”. If you want to serve this for friends, make some cornbread to go with it. Delicious combination!
- 1 thick slice of ham , cut in 1 in. pieces
- 2 lb . cajun sausage links , cooked and cut in 1 in. pieces
- 1/2 lb . shrimp , uncooked
- 2 28 oz . can tomatoes , drained and chopped
- 2 large green pepper , chopped
- 1 large onion , diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic , chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 T . worcestershire
- 1/2 t . thyme
- 1/2 t . cayenne pepper
- 1/4 c parsley , chopped
- Cook sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine all ingredients, except for the shrimp, in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Prepare rice.
- When you are ready to serve, add uncooked shrimp to the last 5 to 10 minutes of your cooking.
- Serve over rice.