When I was younger, I was blessed to be surrounded by many wonderful moms. Lunches, chitchat, advice … recipes! Whatever I needed, the universe responded appropriately. Now that I’m a mom, I talk about the importance of “the village” while raising my own kids because I feel like I really was the product of a true village of smart, talented, loving moms. Soccer games, rides to the beach, spaghetti dinners, family campouts … lots of mom love to go around.
On this Mother’s Day, I want to hug all the moms who have made me the mom I am today – including my own! And I want to give a great big hug to the mom who shared this family recipe with me for Poppy Seed Bread With a Citrus Glaze! I haven’t changed much from the original recipe – mainly, I now use a gluten-free flour. You can add a splash of almond extract if you have it on hand – I rarely do so I didn’t include it in this recipe! If you are avoiding white flour and white sugar, just stop reading now.
This poppy seed bread is unparalleled in the breakfast bread category – or really the dessert category! Do not skip the citrus glaze. It is essential. I hope that you can bake this poppy seed bread for a special mom in your life this month. Or make it with your kids and enjoy it together, this recipe is very easy!
Throw all the ingredients into a large stand mixer. That’s it. Pour into two loaf pans or one loaf pan and some muffin tins. My kids always vote for at least a few muffins because they cook quicker… I can’t argue with their logic.
Poppy Seed Bread with a Citrus Glaze #SundaySupper
For the Bread
- 3 c flour
- 2 1/2 c sugar
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 3 T poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 c + 2 T oil (I used a local canola oil)
For the Glaze
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 t oil
Combine all ingredients for the bread into a large stand mixer.
Grease 2 loaf pans or 1 loaf pan and 12 muffin tins.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix ingredients until combined. Pour into greased loaf pans.
Cook for about 60 minutes. (30-40 minutes for muffins)
Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Combine ingredients for glaze in a small saucepan. Stir. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Poke some holes in the bread. Pour glaze generously over the top of the bread.
Slice and serve with fresh fruit.
For Sunday Supper this week, there are 57 other Mother’s Day inspired recipes for you to check out. Do you have a recipe that reminds you of a special mom in your life? Happy Mother’s Day to all my favorite moms!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.